Monday, May 7, 2007

Lonely? Or just plain Creepy? YOU DECIDE!


My monthly POJO column ran this past Saturday "All men don't act like dogs, but occasionally we'd prefer it" to which I received the following e-mail (below is the shorten version). You decide if it's creepy! WOULD YOU RESPOND TO THIS?


Hello Sarah! Well I was sort of confused as a Man, about your recent
article about being more welcomed by your little dog than by your boy friend when you returned from a vacation...

If I were your boyfriend I would want to go and "protect" you and feel a bit jealous and nervous about you going there alone! I am sure you looked beautiful and alluring on a beach, probably in a string bikini that you would not wear in Poughkeepsie but is acceptable in Mexico, and plus a tan, so-why wouldn't men there notice and try to meet you? I would!
...
It is just a normal part of a man, to initiate possible romantic/sexual contact if he views an attractive woman and gets the impression that she is by herself. Most men are respectful of a woman if she "claims" to have a boy friend. Don't all women young or older say they have a boy friend? I am a bit envious however, of the fact that you have such a boy friend.
...
There are just some levels of affection that a pet cannot provide. Yes?
...
I am sure you looked beautiful on a beach in a bikini in Cancoon, and would also look beautiful in a bikini here, in the Hudson Valley area! Move over boyfriend! Thank you.

Signed,
Confused and Lonely!

10 comments:

Chrissie said...

O M G that's scary!!!

Anonymous said...

what is the e-mail address that this was sent from?

Anonymous said...

Signing it "confused" is a bit scary, but I think you can ground the negative potential of that word because he seems to be using it wrong: he's not so much "confused" as he is "bewildered" or "shocked" that your boyfriend was not more excited to see you after your vacation.

I don't think this letter is that creepy. It's a bit more forward (and descriptive) than typical anonymous American decorum would prescribe, but I don't think it was written by a natural-born American.

The use of english sounds foreign (though with nearly impeccable grammar and only that strange spelling of "Cancoon" -- so an educated foreign-born, which is a little less creepy than some retarded, "yo.....u iz hott.." (right?)).

I would guess eastern-European; the excessive use of the exclamation point and the question "Yes?" are both earmarks of eastern-European english.

Renay said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sarah said...

What if I were to tell you this man is in his 50s, does that make it creepy?

Anonymous said...

Oh! Do you know who he is? Is he eastern-European???


And I'm always so curious when I see comments that have been deleted... What did that person say? Why was it deleted? Can't we get a G-rated summary? If for nothing else, just to acknowledge when oblique, senseless stupidity is in our midst... (I'm assuming the comment was deleted for those reasons).

Sarah said...

The deleted post was a funny remark made by someone I know. But this blog is part of the Poughkeepsie Journal and an editor asked us to remove it.



I know he's a WWII veteran and a devout Catholic. Wow, now I am sounding like the creepy one, eh?

Anonymous said...

WWII vet? Wouldn't that put him in his 80s??

In that case, this is just an old creepy guy. I see them everywhere... they're harmless:)

Sarah said...

All I know is according to the Journal archives he's a WWII vet and he was 44 in 1996. I know that doesn't add up, but either way (50s or 80s) I think you are right, I think he's harmless... but def still creepy.

Anonymous said...

I would NOT respond to the email from the, can you say, DESPERATE, WAY TOO FORWARD man! And for your sake I hope you didn't! Didn't your mother teach you never to talk to strangers, especially "strange" men? Well, this is one of them! I hope you listened!