Wednesday, August 29, 2007

"Quit" is not a bad word after all

Pink Floyd said it all with the title of their song "Comfortably Numb."

Routines are easy.

It's easy to watch television in baggy clothes and snuggle up to your puppy.

It's not so easy to shower (again) do your hair (again) shave (for once) and put on those heels that make you 3 inches taller.

But sometimes, the 4 hour dinner conversation that may stem from it on a Tuesday night is worth it.

The 9-5 mundane routine, followed by television, and early bedtimes always causes me to feel like I'm standing just on the edge of something...

whether it's something awful or something great... it's just out of my reach.

At the end of the day, say around 5:15... it boils down to whether or not I'll jump or be pushed,
but either way it will lead to something new.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

To achieve greatness, I think you have to go off the edge.

But I'm just not sure I need greatness.

I'd rather have 2.5 children and drive a Saab than cut off my ear to have people hang up my artwork in their home.

Still, I agree. Forcing a person into a suit can cause them to burn their briefcase and hurl their PDA into the toilet. Ooooo, that sounds like fun, doesn't it?

I think we need to make a video illustrating this point :-0

Anonymous said...

First off, I LOVE PINK FLOYD!!!!!! I personally think they're the greatest rock band of all time. No one has written music like they have, and no one has touched on subjects (like the corruption/lies in govt.) like they have.

But anyway....
I HATE the mundane. If I have to have children and drive a saab, and that's what I have to look foward to, I WILL CHOP MY OWN EAR OFF! (not to say your wishes are bad Sarah, just not for me).
But Van Gough was crazy, and had a lot of troubles throughout his life (he was named after his dead younger brother for crying out loud).
But all true artists/creative geniuses are considered 'eccentric' or in plain language; OUT OF THEIR MINDS! ;)

I need to travel, and have a job that's constantly changing and keeping me on my toes, because that's one of my biggest fears; living a mundane ordinary life.