Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Single and unemployed

It's widely accepted that an employee who is in a stable relationship is more productive than one who is constantly on the prowl for a partner, according to Dr. Ruth K. Westheimer, a sex therapist.

This doctor states that single people are the victims of a dating process that is " never smooth, and the emotional conflicts that pop up in the single employee's life do have an effect on how much attention he or she is paying to work duties as compared to the time devoted to thinking about personal matters."

So I guess the "real world" of working 9-5 isn't all that much different from middle school, when we spent our single time passing notes and doodling instead of listening to our instructors.

Except now we're stressing over Mr. X, Y, or Z in a way that isn't conducive to "taking care of our workload" and practicing successful time management.

But can't being MARRIED be as much of a distraction?
Isn't there an argument for the fact that a sexless, lust-less marriage can cause as much strain as a sexless, lust-less single-life?

I would think that once kids and bills are a part of your personal life and relationship, that you might be more distracted while at work.

But then again, what do I know?

As a "relationship blogger," who isn't married... all that distraction IS just part of my job.



Do you think that "single or taken" is a factor in our work output (relationship bloggers excluded;)?

8 comments:

Sarah said...

Married:
1) work = escape from cranky wife, crazy kids.
2) compelled to work harder, to support the fam.
3) more likely to accept the 9-5 mold

Single:
1) more likely to go out drinking on a Tuesday
2) more likely to evaluate job-related happiness and/or lack of adventure in one's life.
3) less likely to state: "honey, not now, I have to be to work early tomorrow."


What do you think of my assumptions?

Chrissie said...

Married:
1. Work= a place your wife is NOT, therefore the place you make personal phone calls to your mistress and send emails to the lady who works downstairs.
2. compelled to spend MORE time at work to avoid the family. however, time does not always equal quality output.
3. more likely to fall victim to the 9-5 mold, thus seeing it more as a trap. traps make people do crazy things, like buy really expensive cars and move to LA.

Single:
1. Yes.
2. Sure.
3. "Yeah baby."

I think you're right on with the single assumptions, but I don't really think a person's relationship status translates into their work ethic so much.

Sarah said...

I dunno about married point no. 3. I think working at a newspaper can make anyone want to do that!

Plus, wouldn't that lead to divorce, and then it would have to be your single No. 4 point :-)

I know, I'm shutting up.

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with Sarah, I own a business and over the years I've learned that employees with families tend to be a lot more reliable then employees that are young and single. I have both types working for my company and the employees with families very seldom over sleep or call in sick at the last minute when you know sick means hung over. It may sound like a stereotype but it can be quite obvious at times.

Chrissie said...

maybe anon...

but could it be the "young" more than the "single" factor that makes your employees more prone to being less responsible?

ALSO! we're saying "single or taken," and "taken" doesn't always include a family with kids to take care of...

Sarah said...

Single is not about age. It's about social life.

Mario said...

I think the calling in sick thing definitely has more to do with being young than being single. But, I'm willing to believe that married people are more "stable" employees -- but that's not how I would phrase it.

Married people -- especially married with children -- have serious responsibilites on their shoulders, and it's because of these responsibilities that they are far more likely to put up with the many, many ways that employers try to get over on their employees. They are far less likely than the single people to say "take this job and shove it."

So, maybe that's why employers might prefer married employees. If you've got a spouse and kids at home -- and a mortgage, and a car payment for the "must have" SUV -- then the boss has got you by the cojones.

chrissynb said...

Kinda agree with Mario on the responsibilities thing......I mostly worked ( when I was working) with young single women at a Financial Services firm.....First of all over here we didnt have to really pay any bills (everyone mooches of their parents) so regularly we would complain about our jobs and talk about quitting as the first alternative to anything when we were pissed off......I think if I had more responsibilities that would not be something I'd do so easily