Monday, December 3, 2007

30 is the new "Colorado"


I didn't sleep last night. My dog was stirring and visions of snow-capped Rockies danced in my head.

Tomorrow I will curse the 6:30 a.m. departure flight out of LGA that requires a 2 a.m. wake-up call. Tomorrow I will celebrate my arrival in a place where I have never been, a journey I have never taken. Tomorrow I will be in Colorado. Denver, Colorado. It's my gift to C. for turning 30 and my gift to myself for having to tell people, "Chris is 30 now."

Wow. Chris will be 30 tomorrow.

People handle 30 differently. Some dread it. Some salute it. Chris is taking a Switzerland approach.

I want to tell him, don't be so calm. Don't you realize, it's time to be that man. Time to, time to, time to! But who am I to say that 30 isn't more than just a number. It is, indeed, just a three followed by a zero.

I know this, but I still can't sleep.

30 is as strange a place to me as Colorado. It has its own peaks to climb and slopes to slide down. I consider us Lois and Clark on an epic adventure that will either create or erase our history as partners. I can only put on my ski pants and hope not to fall on my arse.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

to me, i think the age of 30 carries so much weight with it because it's the first significant marker of your "independent" life.

all those other milestone ages (13, 16, 18, 21, whatever) were all at a time when you were basically being pushed thru life by the support system that you depended on. the system that guided you to your choices and your decisions.

but now, you're independent. you're solely responsible for your life and the direction you take it. you're probably around 5 years in the professional world, so that fantasy-like question you were asked over and over leading up to graduation, "where do you want to be 5 years from now?" has now taken some real form. and possibly some real consequence. you now know where you are. but is where you are where you wanted to be. and better yet, is where you wanted to be back then the same as where you want to be right now? and if you're not sure of the answer to any of those questions, then this milestone age is no help but to remind you that the time to make a change is slowly slipping away...

and so the big "three-oh" is the first significant age milestone where, basically, it's all on you. it is exactly what you will make of it... or what you have made of it...

eh, i'm talking too much. anyway, that's what 30 is to me (i'm 10 months from it). and actually i'm quite fond of the growth i've felt personally just by thinking about it.

in the end i know it's just a number. i know i won't look or act much different the day after 30 compared to the day before. but i will be different... at some psychological level. there's no denying that, no matter how much i pretend it doesn't matter.

Jared said...

I feel like 30 is the only age that really stings anymore, especially now that 40/50/60/70 year olds are laughing, skydiving, having sex, etc., at least according to all the prescription drug and mutual fund commercials I've seen.

Anonymous said...

I've been to Colorado. It's not too strange; good air, great steaks, lot of cowboy hats. Feller drivin' a truck will tip his hat to a guy joggin' in a small town at dawn.

Now, Mississippi is strange. Only place I've ever been where the lady in a restaurant asked me for THREE forms of ID to cash an American Express travelers check.

If your (or Chris's) 30 is like Colorado, it'll be great. If it's Mississippi, you might need some sedatives.

Sarah said...

OoooLaLa, cowboys and steak! A girl can't ask for anything more than that on vacation. Thanks for that 'rouse of excitment.
BTW, what's Mississippi? Never heard of it.

Chrissie said...

what i don't think is fair is that men get all those goods to help them through their 30s, 40s, 50s, and 60s while women are still enduring the same old afflictions.

and on top of it, i'd say that men reach their peak of attractiveness around 30-35, while women are said to do the same around 18 years old;)

Travis Miller said...

Sarah, the random question on your profile is amazing.