Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Chrissie in Real Life

I recently watched that movie “Dan in Real Life,” and hated it.

But one line in particular got my blog gears going…

“He promised to forgive me of my past, if I could forgive him of his.”

And although it’s not the most poetic or original idea ever, it does have some “real life” foundations.

While the characters in that movie didn’t have more than one dimension, and their “pasts” were never discussed at a length that would encourage audiences to actually care about them.. real life isn’t so simple.

We all have pasts, some good things and some bad.
We all want to be forgiven and eventually be given the chance to prove we’re who we want to be rather than who we may have been.

So we beg…
“Forgive me and I’ll forgive you.”

But if we live by this rule, then we must be willing to know a little less about who our partners were, and concentrate instead on who they ARE to us.

And while it may bother us to wonder where they may have been or who they may have loved…

I say, promise.
Forgive.
Keep mum.

Because now, is the real life after all.

2 comments:

madelena said...

I completely agree with you Chrissie. Living in the past won't allow us to improve what we have left; the present and future.
There's always room for growth and change. I don't believe in living in the past, in any sense.

Chrissie said...

well said madelena!

there's nothing more frustrating than being unable to move on and move forward...

and if you're completely consumed with who your partner was before you met him/her, then he/she can't be all that dazzling in the present tense.