Thursday, December 6, 2007

His "Dog Gone-It" Past

The other day, C. got out his Christmas box. I pulled out its tenants. Garland. Lights. Ornaments.

So far, so bueno.

Then a smaller box. With a girl's handwriting. The loopy scribbles read: "Note: Maybe get a bigger tree next year." A heart dotted the "i".
I repeat, a heart dotted the "i".

The ex.
Yuck.
Her cutesy note. Her hearts.
Double Yuck.

C.'s ex had lifted her leg and peed all over his stuff.

"So what!" C. said. "When I met you, your boxes said 'Sarah and J's X-mas stuff.' "
Crap, he had me there.

But wait. Checkmate. "Those boxes don't exist anymore," I said.

Then I laughed. I found this ornament in HIS box that was so HER and so NOT ME. A fashionista figure on a shopping spree.

C. was right. I had nearly 3 amazing years with him. She had one Christmas. He had one ornament of hers. But I had his heart.

Forgetting his past isn't always as easy as he wants it to be. But SHE is insignificant and it's time to let it go.

Remember, a little soap will get out her scent, but your mark is much much more permanent.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is stupid and immature. I can't even finish the article I am only 21 and I hope who ever wrote this was in high school or I will be sad for this person?. Just a thought..

Anonymous said...

I am bored and just came across this article.. trying to procrastinate from doing my h. work.... but seriously I wish I never came upon this... because this is beyond me and I don't see why girls or even women act like this. It jsut makes no sense to me/