Wednesday, January 9, 2008

I fudged up flattery


Why didn't I just say thank you?

Instead, I answered her compliment: "I'm way fatter than I used to be."

Fatter?! Is that a word even?

She seemed disappointed. "What do you mean?"

"Oh, I just mean I used to be a skinny mini, but now I'm uh... " (right now, the mind was saying DUMB? STUPID? FREAKISHLY ODD?) "uh... not," I finally finished.

"You're not fat," she answered.

DAMN! Now she thinks I'm insecure.

One compliment wasn't good enough. I had to counter with an insult and wait for the rebuttal?!

I badly wanted to take it back and say the second thing that popped into my head:

"Thanks. I feel great."

That was more of the truth.

------


Compliments are often insincere.
"You look great."
Compliments are recycled.
"You're beautiful."
Compliments are mundane.
"You're the best."

But compliments are still compliments, and I need to learn how to say thank you. Then leave it at that.

No comments: