Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Pencil me in

During my single life... my weekdays were spent alone and my weekends were spent waiting.

Waiting for one of my “taken” friends to pencil me into their busy schedules full of couples only parties and double dates.

And when they found a second...
When they discovered that next, next, Friday at 830 p.m. worked for them...

I was available.

So I put the date in my book with a Sharpie’s permanence, and again waited for the time where we'd invigorate our friendship.

A time to forget that they weren’t alone and I was, because at that moment we were together.

And then…
After years of being the “single friend,” the “fix-HER-up with him friend,” and the “out on the town friend,” I joined their club.

And while the phone doesn’t ring any less…
The planner remains empty.

No next next Fridays to get me through.
No “tomorrows” or “the third weekends” find their way into my date book.

Because while I once had a life that could mold itself around theirs…
Where I was once “available…”
Now, my time is taken too.

So I’ve thrown out the Sharpie and sharpened my pencils.

And again I wait...
for the day when friends will again come first…
for the day that erasure marks on my calendar will be for postponements rather than cancellations….

When the pencil’s fine point will promise a permanence uncharacteristic of itself.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

You can pencil me in for tomorrow around 5:30ish ;)

Chelsea Talks Smack said...

I'm totally in the "waiting" phase. UGH.

Chrissie said...

enjoy the waiting... it has its perks;)

and don't worry jenn, i penciled you and my other favorite lady in for tomorrow night SHARPEE STYLE!!!

Thomas G Henry said...

I've been using RememberTheMilk.com for a few days now... I like it... it's deceptively simple looking, but has features like whoa....

used in concert with firefox, gmail, gcal, and/or twitter.... holy crap

(for planning/scheduling btw)

((also, February is triple birth season, see u there?? 2/1 on ur cal, tell a friend))