Monday, January 21, 2008

She's his type


My finger nails are never painted. And I don't spend my Saturdays shopping. I couldn't tell you what store I bought this sweater in. You probably wouldn't recognize the label on the tag. I almost never wear lipstick. And when I do, I don't reapply it whenever there is a mirror nearby.

My feet bottoms are always dirty in the summer. I like sleeping on the ground in a tent. Watching the sparks of a campfire travel to the tops of evergreens and become stars. Eating with my fingers.

I curse.
I complain.

I'm nothing like her.
His ex.

Then why me? I ask.

Because I'm everything she's not, he says.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is it a good thing when his ex is the opposite of you?
Or better when you both fit his "type"?


4 comments:

Chrissie said...

I think it's a good thing if the ex is opposite of you... to an extent.

You don't want to be "nothing" like her because then you may tend to wonder if he was just so sick of his relationship with her that he wanted "something else" without considering that there were in fact things about her that he loved.

eventually he may find those things missing in you and again move on.

(you collective/not "sarah").

But if he accuses you of being "part of the blond blur" that is his past... then take warning.

Because he's just trying to make that relationship right rather than make the one he has with you special.

Thanks for listening,
The Blond Blur Part 3

Sarah said...

If he dates a specific type and you break the mold, there's no reason to panic.

As C. proved, sometimes it's what the ex is not, that makes you special.

BUT, if he is ATTRACTED to type A, and you are type B, there could be cause for concern.

If he wants someone who dresses high fashion, always does her hair, ...and you like to shop at second hand stores, and wear your hair natural, then could be problems.

You should ask, does this guy love me for who I am, OR for who he wants me to be?

Anonymous said...

i think you need to stop worrying about the ex and concentrate on your relationship with your boyfriend.

Sarah said...

Thanks for the tip Anon, but this is a blog about dating, and sometimes our deepest, darkest insecurities.

You can expect to find stuff here about his ex.

But keep in mind, this is a collection of things that have happened over time. It doesn't mean this convo happened last night, or last year. Sometimes it's not even him. It's a collection of hims.

The odd couple blog is not black and white, it's yellow.