Tuesday, May 6, 2008
Why I'd Rather Elope
As my 26th birthday approaches, my bare ring finger is suddenly sending chills through my parents as they cope with the idea of having an un-wed daughter nearing 30.
And while marriage isn't something I contemplate seriously from day to day, I do think there's one thing other than my single-status that might tick off mom and dad even more.
Like, if I were to elope.
I simply can't deny all the perks of spending my pre-wedding days finding a far away sunset rather than the least expensive corset to wear on my big day...
But that's not the ONLY reason...
1. White is not flattering unless you weight 100 lbs and are 5'8. I do not plan to grow 6 inches or lose _ _ lbs before my wedding day. Save that for the "Bulging Brides" who max out at (gasp!) a size 9.
2. Trying to afford a wedding is more depressing than going to the mall with an empty wallet and a non-existent wardrobe. With all the "YOU SHOULD HAVES" out there, you might end up feeling like a "have not" on your big day.
3. ME ME ME ME ME. There, I said it... Ooops! I mean US US US US US US. This day isn't about anyone else giving up their freedom or sense of identity to become "ONE." So why would I put the expectations of other person above my own... I mean, OUR own.
4. I get stressed out when I have more than one friend to entertain on a Friday night. I can't imagine how it feels to have hundreds of people looking to me for a great time.
5. Party favors are stupid. I've said this 1,000 times, and yet with a traditional wedding I'm still supposed to waste money on them. I'd prefer my own Elvis cake topper to 100 pink M$Ms for all my friends.
6. The ring will be bigger, if the wedding costs less ; )
7. You can avoid having your almost-friends ruin your big day by drinking too much champagne or bringing your ex-boyfriends along as their dates.
And so this list.. will stop at 7.
Not because I have nothing more to say, but because there are so many more reasons, I haven't the time to type them all.