Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Checking it twice

After discussing wedding planning with my favorite bride to be last night, I realized that having no idea what you want is much worse than having your big day planned since childhood.

With all the bridal magazines, blogs, and television shows out there, it's pretty easy to be overwhelmed and constantly in search of the "perfect" answer to your party plans.

Whether its the favors or the flowers, the options are limitless.

But after a few minutes of overwhelming conversation, I asked her, "Have you sat down, without all these magazines and distractions, and made a list of what's really important to you on your wedding day?"

Because to me, that's what matters most.

The list of importance doesn't include "The perfect favor! The perfect font for those invitations! Or even the perfect dress for the occasion..."

My list is short.

Him, me, and those close to us.

But in light of all the world of advertising has to offer, that list can seem like a ticket for the smallest wedding, rather than the most memorable....

With such a short love-list, am I oversimplifying an extravagant affair?
Will I be disappointed that I didn't make the most of my "big day?"

And if so... then tell me this:
What's on your list?

5 comments:

vanessa said...

The only problem I have with wedding planning is that I see that a lot of brides are pushed into making decisions that they wouldn't otherwise make, except for the sake of tradition. Why do something for the sake of tradition when it doesn't actually mean anything to you?

A wedding should be a celebration infused with you and your partners personality.

Dont be afraid to wear pink instead of white, or have burgers and milkshakes instead of the traditional boring chicken or fish.

Incorporate the things that you love to share together, so that you can share them with the people that matter most to the both of you.

vanessa said...

They say when you first start planning a wedding to list the 3 most important things, where you're willing to make the least sacrifices. Everything else just seems kind of trivial after that.

So the top 3 "material" elements for my wedding are:

1. food
2. ambiance
3. photography

Your list is the true essence of what a wedding should be. Most of the money is usually blown on the reception, and of course the wedding dress.

You could have your wedding at the courthouse, spend practically no money and your list would be complete. But most people want the fiarytale they've been dreaming of since they were 5. They want to be princess for a day.

Anonymous said...

I insisted on no tulle anywhere--and also that we only invited people I knew would care about being there. No inviting people out of obligation, etc.

Chrissie said...

i'm with you on the "no tulle" rule! i don't really understand what's behind a lot of "wedding planning" decisions...

i vow, no favors either. i don't really understand the concept, "here's a cheap-throw-away memento for you!"

isn't that what the photographs and thank you cards are for? who really keeps/appreciates the favors anyway?

Anonymous said...

my mom wants to invite her boss + bosswife because "that what everyone in her office does."

my man wants to invite cousins, work associates, friends of friends of friends.

i want to not spend my few hours of wedding bliss making awkward small talk with people I will never see again.

ugh.