Monday, June 9, 2008

Eco-Love

"I just need to get a few things at the grocery store, do you mind coming?"

An hour later, I'm holding a second basket, arms aching, wondering how much more stuff he can fit in there.

And a quick glance tells me, we... don't really need anything in those double baskets at all.

Maybe it's because of my tortured past where I considered groceries luxuries, or my hatred for fluorescent lights... But I'd honestly like to avoid the soda, candy, chip aisle at any cost.

When I see the convenience of 100 calorie snack packs, and 12 ounce bottled water... I can only envision the huge landfills that these tiny things are perpetuating. Seriously. Little bags add up when every person trying to lose weight is eating 4 snack-packs a day.

The grocery store, for me, is a reminder of how much we want, and how much marketing makes us think we need more.

So what's a girl to do, when her better half, can't resist the half-off personalized packs of peanuts, in spite of a pantry full of them?

As if relationships aren't hard enough...
Maybe, like children, and marriage, and finances... our eco-compatibility is important as well.

1 comment:

vanessa said...

The funny thing about the 100 calorie snack packs is that no one is paying attention to the fact that they cost twice as much as the box of teddy grahams thats twice as big as all the little packs combined. People are lazy. They'd much rather pay to have someone else divy up portion sizes than take the time to count out 10 crackers and say ENOUGH.

People sacrifice for things they deem important. Convenience means they have more time to spend doing things they want to do. (supposedly) So in this case they're sacrificing extra money for the convenience of portion control.

So advertisers and marketing companies jumped on the bandwagon and suddenly everything is available single serving size. And now everything is available in a spray too. So now you dont have to "waste" time rubbing things into your skin (lotions, sunscreens, self tanners, neosporin, etc.) But how much time are these things REALLY buying you?

Its all a little ridiculous to me, but then again I help to make the commercials that tell you what to buy, so I suppose I'm part of the problem.