Monday, June 2, 2008

The F Word

I'll admit this now.

I've already seen the Sex and the City movie, twice.

Midnight showing and then again not even 24 hours later. And I loved it.

I loved it because I loved that show...
Not for the shoes, or the sex scenes, or even the naked men.
It wasn't the high priced labels or even the love that made me go back and watch old episodes over and over again.

It was for the friendship.

My favorite line, however corny, cliche, or crazy it sounded came from Charlotte. After a particularly exhausting search for the perfect man, she had an epiphany.

"Maybe we could be each other's soul mates,"
she said. "And men could be these great nice guys to have fun with."

It's not the most profound statement, nor the most realistic.
But it is the most hopeful. It takes men out of the equation and turns friendship into something even more powerful than finding love.

And as the movie ended...
It wasn't the fact they'd all finally found love that seemed most important to me.
It wasn't the men, or the shoes, or the marriages that I coveted.

It was that one big, F word.

Friendship...
that turned my eyes green with envy and caused my heart to break.

Because finding love is easy.
Finding real friends... not so much.

5 comments:

Chrissie said...

This post is not directed to any person in particular. It simply stems from the idea that finding, making, and keeping friends is hard work..

vanessa said...

I can totally relate. These days it feels like the only "real friend" I have is my fiances sister. And to think, I wouldn't even have her if I didn't already have him.

Chrissie said...

i spent the day with my sisters and mother yesterday and realized that eventually, your family members become your friends... and good ones.

so i don't think your situation is too unexpected vanessa. most people seem to find that the people they can really count on aren't the ones they thought... and they tend to be related to us (maybe even by marriage in your case;)

Chrissie said...

or... almost marriage.

vanessa said...

Its just strange because I know so many people that are still friends with their friends from high school. I'm lucky if I still talk to maybe one person from "back in the day". It makes me wonder if I'm missing out on something...

Or if maybe I've accepted being a grown up and they're still holding on to the past...

But its true, you spend your childhood/ early adulthood trying to break away from your family, and then you spend the rest of it trying to make up for lost time.