Monday, July 14, 2008

Shaving

"How old were you when you started shaving your legs?"

I pretended to think long and hard as if I couldn't remember the first time I attacked my adolescent livelihood with a 3 tier razor.

"Um, I think 13 or 14... maybe."

My little sister stared at me as if I was crazy for waiting so long.

She turns 12 on Saturday, and "everyone in her class" is already shaving their little legs.

And the truth of the matter is, when I was 11, I starting shaving mine too.

Not because the delicate, blond hairs were "gross" or because I thought I "needed" to.

I did it, because all the other girls were doing it.

I remember the first time I felt my own, freshly shaved legs. While they were smoother than they'd ever been... they looked even more pale and pasty than before I'd done it. The pre-teen chub was more alarming than before, and I wore pants on the hottest days so no one would see what I'd done to myself.

Not to mention, it was only a matter of hours before they were itchier and stubblier than they'd ever been before shaving them in the first place.

"Why do you want to shave them anyway?" I asked mini-me.

"Because they're gross! Look at them!" she exclaimed while brushing the perfectly acceptable blond hairs with her childlike fingers, nails unpainted and un-groomed.

"You think THAT'S gross!? I asked while grabbing her hand and making her feel my calf after two days sans razor.

"Ew!" She screamed, "That's awful!"

"Yes," I said. "It is."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember my older brother's friend telling me that I needed to shave my legs. I was 10!!! I wish I could go back to that moment, and tell him that 10 yr old girls are supposed to play with dolls, make mud cakes, and jump rope. NOT HAVE SEXY, SMOOTH LEGS.

And, I should have mentioned the comment to my older brother, PROTECTIVE older brother.