Wednesday, August 13, 2008

I hate goodbyes

Not in the usual, "saying farewell to a family member you won't see for decades kind of way."

As in, I'd rather hang up on my closest friends than say goodbye after a brief telephone call.
I sometimes hope for the office to be entirely empty in the afternoons so no one will be there to wish me well.

I'd prefer a quick move for the door without the pleasantries.
Give me the end... but not the almost.

Because while saying hello is one of my favorite things...
Saying goodbye always leaves my ears ringing.

Wanting more.
More of the beginning and less of the end.

2 comments:

Yuki said...

Goodbyes provide a kind of closure, if you ask me. I'm okay about it - some days, I'd rather be the one saying it just so I don't have to deal with certain people.

So what do you say when a book series ends? I've always been a fan of Stephan King, and his Dark Tower series - ask any fan how it ends, and you'll find that most of us just want a goodbye.

For me, there needs to be a...median, an interval, between almost and done - there needs to be a goodbye. Otherwise, my story arcs may never end...well, anyway.

Anonymous said...

Goodbyes are usually awkward for me. Over the phone or "accidentally" bumping into someone. Sometimes I wish I could just hang up or walk away. But that's rude, so I just gotta hang in there and deal.