Thursday, August 28, 2008

Wedding Songs

No, no, no, I (unlike Sarah) am NOT getting married.

But while most young women dream of their white dress and glorious diamond, the part of the wedding I often fantasize about is the wedding song.

Music has always been a form of time travel for me. (Much like the changing seasons bring me back to relationships lost and lusted after, but that's a post for another day).

I hear the album that I blared post-breakup and still cry.
I hear my sister's wedding song and remember exactly the way her face looked as she entered the reception hall.
And I listen to the album that marks the beginning of my current relationship with a smile on my face, and a tingle in my stomach that matches the one I felt the first time he kissed me. (Okay, okay, the second time he kissed me. The first was dulled with Jager and the crowded Halloween Party).

And so, while my friends plan their real-life weddings and stress about money and color patterns and save the dates, I can still enjoy the search for the perfect wedding song, without all the added stress.

Here are my top 4 Wedding Songs

1. Book of Love by The Magnetic Fields
It's ironically a love song and not a love song all at once, but his voice is haunting and I'm sure no one at the wedding will know or possibly like this song.

2. Crazy for you by New Found Glory (Originally Madonna).
It's fun, corny, and fast enough that people might actually enjoy dancing to it. I feel it is best done with an elaborate and ridiculous dance sequence between the bride and groom.

3. If I Were a Carpenter- Bobby Darin
My dad is a carpenter, and my mom married him anyway. They are still together and I might argue stronger than ever... This song means marriage to me.

4. Brand New Colony- Postal Service
I love Ben Gibbard's voice, but too many people use the Death Cab Song, "I Will Follow You Into the Dark," this is a nice change and sweet lyrics.





What was or will be your wedding song? And if you're single-forever, then what songs moved you at weddings you experienced?

3 comments:

sarah said...

Love of my life — dmb and Carlos Santana

I'll back you up — dmb

Lauryn Hill - Too Good To Be True

Beyonce - Dangerously In Love

David Gray - Be Mine

are some of the favs...

Irwin said...

Call me old for this one, but "A Lover's Concerto" is one of my favorite love songs.

From a country perspective I like Brooks & Dunn's "Ain't Nothing 'Bout You."

From a rock and roll perspective (and a really long dance) "All My Love" by Led Zep can't be beat.

And, Lionel Richie's "I Call It Love" is a great song too.

Richard C. Lambert said...

Music has always been a form of time travel for me. (Much like the changing seasons bring me back to relationships lost and lusted after, but that's a post for another day). mother son wedding dances