Friday, October 3, 2008

A first date


I suggested we meet for drinks, a place near my apartment, easy to get to but one that didn't include him knowing my home address quite yet.

I didn't want dinner. Dinner was too formal, too intimate. I didn't want to be the one to order the most (or least) expensive thing on the menu. To discuss the check with a man I barely knew. I didn't want to be the one to tell him that his teeth were littered with flecks of the meal he almost-ate during our forced conversation.

And so drinks, I decided.

Just... drinks.

And oddly enough, conversation flowed as easily as our two hearty pours of the best tasting red wine I'd ever received for 4.25 a glass.

He said, "When we..."
And I marked my calendar.

He said, "Next weekend..."
And I said, "Let's."

He said "We should..."
And for the first time in my once-broken-hearted memory, I didn't flinch.

Yes. I thought. We should.

1 comment:

Sten said...

When it feels right, it feels right. You can't force chemistry ... just be happy when you find it.