Thursday, October 30, 2008

Re-Evaluation


It's funny how time can change your appearance as well as your perspective.

That guy that seemed so funny, smart, and sexy years ago suddenly looks a bit crazy, self-absorbed, and obsessive. His "quirkiness" has transcended into "creepiness."

Perhaps he's really changed for the worse. Maybe the breakup ruined him and now he's a different person than the one you fell in love with.

Or maybe, he was always that guy.
That guy who didn't deserve you.
That guy
you made excuses for.
That guy
who broke your heart.

No matter how far into the past we're exploring...
Our evaluations are always subjective to where we are in the present.

And so, as now feels better and better, then looks less and less appealing.

But I wonder...

If we begin to second guess our previous decisions, then where did all the good from that past relationship go?

Because it sometimes seems as though the more we value ourselves...
The more we re-evaluate the past.

3 comments:

Sten said...

I like to practice a "no looking back" policy. As I've said before, it hurts my neck.

I've only had one relationship that left me wondering if breaking up was the right thing to do. But even then, as now, I know in the murky depths of my scotch soaked heart that we just weren't right for each other.

I think sometimes we just miss the intimate connection we lost, not necessarily the person we had it with.

Anonymous said...

If we begin to second guess our previous decisions, then where did all the good from that past relationship go?

The good was always there; it probably still is there. The fact of the matter is that when a relationship is new, we are more willing to overlook the not-so-obvious faults of our partners and focus only on the good parts. It's only later, when things progress, that we shift our focus in an attempt to evolve what is a "fun thing" into something more serious. All of my exes still have their "great" qualities that they had when I dated them. The reason many of them are exes however, is that they also still have all those horrible qualities that I was so willing to overlook in the beginning.

Sten said...

Well put, Anon.