Friday, October 24, 2008

Sacrifice your senses


Let's say some party pooper pixie told you you had to give up one of your five senses, but you could choose ... what would you pick?

I think sight is non-negotiable. I'm an artist, I'd like to see what I'm doing. I love watching movies and baseball games and peeking in mens locker rooms. I'm not giving any of that up.
Hearing is pretty important too. You've got music, a lover's whisper in your ear, "Boston Sucks" chants in Yankee Stadium ... I'd hold on to that too.
Touch. Yeah ... I like that one. Reasons why are available on the unrated Odd Couple site.

So that leaves taste and smell. There have been times I could do without both. People are stinky and food can be nauseating. But then I think of the smell of fresh cut grass, or a nice aftershave, or a campfire, or the ocean .... hmmmm.

Taste can be wonderful ... like the smokiness of a good scotch. But whenever I have a cold I can't taste anything anyway and I've never lost sleep over it.

There you have it party pooper pixie - I'd give up taste.

12 comments:

Sten said...

What would you give up, and more importantly, why?

Ryan said...

I'd have to agree...if I can smell you coming, chances are I'm not gonna want to taste you...

E said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
E said...

is your hair getting longer? Or were you just getting sick of the other picture?
And where's that tattoo I know you have on your upper arm?! The one of the canadian flag. :)

Sten said...

Oh E. you know people have to pay to see that.

And I'm willing my hair to get longer.

sarah said...

sight.

i just think it would be neat to "see" the world a different way.

Sten said...

I can respect that, Sarah. Certainly the blind manage to live full lives, and their other senses become enhanced. I always loved Daredevil (not the movie.)

Chrissie said...

i'm a little late coming into this one... but i think i'd give up taste.

oh, how thin i would be if food didn't taste like anything at all!

sarah said...

I think taste is important.

what if you chow down on some spoiled meat? what if your roommate replaces your bottled water with vodka (don't laugh, this actually happened) and you started to chug in a fit of dehydration, what if when you are little your sibling gives you something he says is chocolate but it's really not. Ok that you can laugh at.

Taste buds are your buds :-)

Sten said...

We would then rely on our keen sense of smell. (Because somehow in this world taste and smell are no longer connected .... just go with it.)

sarah said...

unless you had a cold
(ok I'll stop now!)

Sten said...

Hahaha ... true ... but I won't have to taste nasty cold medicine!