Monday, October 27, 2008

Spontaneity is the spice of life


Overall life has been good to me. I love my job, adore my friends and haven't lived paycheck to paycheck in a long time ... but all that isn't enough. I crave adventure ... and have just booked a flight for the latest.

Saturday we were all out for dinner and then coffee ... unofficially for Sunshine's birthday (but don't tell her that, she was against making the celebration of her existence a big deal.) Before dinner, Chuckles announced he saw a cheap deal on flights to Belize. It peaked some interest, but overall was disregarded. Chuckles is a man of many schemes, so it is difficult to take them all seriously.

But he mentions it again when we went out for coffee. That's when the magic happened ... all of a sudden I think, "what the hell ... let's go." The excitement was infectious. Eight of us right then and there booked the tickets on the cafe's computer. The idea just took off like a prom dress at an after party. Done and done.

"Why Belize?" Some have asked. Because the flight is RIDICULOUSLY cheap, but more importantly because it's an opportunity to see an exotic part of the world with our closest friends. It is something fun to look forward to for the next few months.

And it's there. It exists, and I haven't seen it yet. I promised myself years ago I'd leave the country at least once a year. So far, I've only been to three of the continents, and never Central America. The world is huge, and full of amazing things that just blow my "suburban princess" mind ... and I want to see as much of it as possible before I die. (Which according to my mother will most likely be in Belize.)

10 comments:

Andy said...

that sounds awesome kristen i hope you have a blast

Sten said...

Thanks Andy! I'll bring you back a leopard.

Anonymous said...

LMAO! Sounds like your mother and I would get a long fantastically! I ALWAYS think I'm going to die when I go on vacation! haha! So excited for you! That's awesome!! =) <3Kel

Sten said...

I haven't died on vacation yet ... so I prefer to stay optimistic. Not to mention ... it would be kinda cool to have my headstone read "died in a fiery ball of flame" ... or "shot down in the jungle."

E said...

you could not tell her and just send her an email from the exotic local...like some other girl I once knew. Her mother loved that!

teality said...

That. Is inspiring. :)

DjLady said...

ooohhh have fun you guys!!! when i heard you guys were going to belize- i was immediatly excited ( and a little envious) for you. such a spontaneous trip.. soo cool. have fun!!!!

Anonymous said...

Nice! Belize is cheap, fun, relatively safe (relatively being the key word there) and beautiful. Traveler's cheques are better than cash so long as you change them over at the hotel or a bank. Just remember, "Un Cerveza Por Favor" and "Donde Estad El Banyo" and you'll be fine.

Sten said...

Gracias! Pero, no estoy preocupada. Estoy forte y hablo un poco espanol.

AJ said...

Belize is an interesting place, we went there last January and met a great guy who we paid to be out tour guide for the day. We stayed on the main land, but you like the beach so you should definitely go out to the cays, there isn't any real beaches on the mainland. The food is fantastic, the Zoo has all the native animals up close, and if you have a good guide you can learn a lot about the country.