Tuesday, November 4, 2008

What's in a name?

"Hi I'm Chrissie, I work for the paper."

"Well, I'll need to see proof!"

"Proof that I'm Chrissie, or that I work for the paper?"

"That you work for the paper, anyone could come in here and say they were shooting video for the PoJo, why should I believe you?"


Cast aside the fact I often look like a high school kid attempting to operate a tripod.
Forget about my short stature and my approachable face.
Pretend for a second, that I'm your 30/40/50-something peer, rather than a fresh-faced college graduate who doesn't have the audacity to challenge you.

And simply believe me because...

You could write "Chamomile Tea" on your name tag if you REALLY want to. You could "say" you're Pamela, Angie, or Trent, even though your name is Henry.

Our names are one-single-aspect of who we are, they don't define us, they simply associate a word with our face, our mannerisms, our personality.

A name may give us an immediate identity, but it alone doesn't prove a thing.

So when you question the authenticity of the name I've given you, when you decide you want to see "proof" of who I am and what I do...

Look down at your own name tag and ask yourself if that black scribble with the sharpie marker is all that important to your identity.

You know. Your true. Untrustworthy self.

After all, I believed YOU when you told me who you were, even before I read it.

3 comments:

Chrissie said...

What possible motivation could a person have for lying about his/her name?

I've had people lie about their age because they thought they were "too old for me," but this seems different...

Sten said...

I like to go out and claim a name that belongs to someone I dislike ... then cause trouble and leave their business card.

Is that wrong?

E said...

no... just highly amusing. Remind me to take someones business card next time they piss me off.