Thursday, December 11, 2008

Branding


Most people have a bit of a possessive streak, and at the same time like the feeling
of belonging to someone. Whether that manifests with a ring on your left hand, or scratch marks on your back, people find a way to "lay claim" to the one they desire.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the old junior high favorite ... the hickey. I once, for an entire week, had to wear a scarf or turtle neck to cover what some ass thought would be funny. I might have found it somewhat humorous ... but it happened during the summer.

People get kinda crazy over their partners ... Angelina Jolie wore Billy Bob Thornton's blood around her neck. That's a wee bit creepy (why not just keep a finger or ear?) Then again, is it so far off from just wanting to posses something of your lover?
In one relationship I would take a shirt or sweater of his with me whenever we'd be apart for a while. I would cuddle with a silly garment just to not forget what he smelled like. It's nice to have a token, anything of theirs, so you keep a piece of them with you. Is that creepy ... or sweet? Or both?

Pet names are another way of laying claim. You are renaming someone - giving them a label that they only answer to when you say it. Using these in front of others is a subconscious way of saying "this person is mine," and can be even more effective than a branding iron on the forehead. (Some names are really ridiculous. They just make me angry. Might have to talk about that in another post.)

Some might get a tattoo of their mate's name across their chest.

Some religiously update their Facebook profile, and tag their sweetheart's name to their status ... Just so there's no question that they are seeing someone, and who that someone is.

I'm a bit more subtle, preferring to simply blush and smile when I spy a little bite mark on my shoulder, or have a sore arm all day because I couldn't bear to move it from under his peacefully sleeping face the night before.
And I sure don't mind tousled hair and a swollen bottom lip after some serious smooching. But anything permanent, or scarring ... I think that would put me off.

9 comments:

Sten said...

What are some way's you've put a mark on your someone special?

bunny said...

Sten,

For Xmas I've made you a pretty, pretty necklace.

Wraith said...

i have never, but it's been done to me. You see there was this vacuum. And we were in love ...

Chrissie said...

my high school boyfriend gave me a hickey on my forehead once, just to embarrass me... and i've hated being "branded" that way ever since.

i think pet names are cute, if used privately, once they reach the public it's not so special anymore (although i'm guilty of calling my man "babe" even in front of his parents;)

Mohawk said...

I personally urinate on my partners. And not just the current, ive been known to open the hatch and give an ex's leg a good hose down... when i meet their new boyfriend.

lol in all seriousness i cant say that i really brand people. if ive ever given a hickey it was to be a dick. im not much for stea...err borrowing things from partners either as tokens.

then again i prefer to see my partner often enough as to where i start to forget things like how they smell or where they live.

i guess in certain aspects, im fairly cold. does a text message here and there count?

Mohawk said...

as to where i DONT start to forget things...

oops

Sten said...

Peeing is another way to brand. That's how dogs do it ...

Yuki said...

I'm more or less the same as Chrissie - I have this habit of calling him "babe." He also has a little glass fish pendant that he wears around his neck (his tags, I guess?).

But otherwise, I'm also guilty of borrowing his shirt/jacket (with permission, of course) just so I can sleep with it.

Anonymous said...

i buy my man T-shirts that say "Taken" and "I love my girlfriend" and "whipped" and "practically married" and make him wear them when I'm not around.