Thursday, December 4, 2008

Driver's Ed


"You can't take the car out of the parking lot until you pay for it."

Yes, a woman actually said that.

The very same woman that Sten referred to in her post about the "Couple who didn't kiss before marriage."

I find it ironic that a person who has such "values" can reduce herself to a car and then exclaim to the world that her man needs to pay for her love, affection, and well... her saliva before she'll "leave the garage," so to speak.

I think their "courtship" sounds like a game in control and manipulation.

"I won't do the laundry until you clean the kitchen," is one thing, but saying, "I won't kiss you until you buy me a big ol' diamond!" is quite another.

It's one thing to hold out on sex...
But on plain ol' affection?

Isn't that part of a good relationship?

And so I wonder...

If they were never alone, never kissed, and obviously played games...

How likely is it that now that he's driven the car around the block, he isn't going to want to trade her in for something better?

11 comments:

Sten said...

I actually think people are A LOT like cars. (http://oddcoup.blogspot.com/2008/09/lets-go-for-ride.html)

... and I STRONGLY recommend a test drive. What if you get in the car and the power steering is faulty ... what if it's unresponsive? Terrible. Terrible.

I'm fine with women being objectified. I'm not OK with doing a man's dishes without getting some ass. You heard it here.

Sten said...

Oh! And what if it turns out to be a Stephen King car and won't let you break up with it?
Terrifying.

thecodemachine said...

You know, I know a guy who only test drove one car. By test driving only one car he doesn't know what he is missing.

But that isn't always a bad thing. If I test drive a BMW, but I couldn't afford a BMW, every car I drive after wards will measure up to the BMW. Trust me a Kia Spectra is nothing like a BMW 128i. If I didn't drive my BMW I have the potential of loving my Kia rental car. But I can't because I have the experience.

If you use another analogy. Sex is like smoking. Once you start, you want it everyday and its really hard to give up. If you don't want the hell that is quitting the easiest way is to not start.

Sten said...

And some cigarettes are a lot smoother than others ... only found that out by trying a couple different brands.
I definitely prefer the one I smoke now, that's for sure.

Anonymous said...

wait so the kia rental is a hooker? or did we leave the analogy at that point?

Colin said...

I know a couple that are very happily married that abstained from sexual intercourse before marriage. That didn't mean no playing around or foreplay mind you, but none the less, things are good for them.

Honestly, if you're marrying someone and sex is the deal breaker, then you're doing it wrong. Is good sex important to a lasting relationship? Yes, of course it is, but the other needs of a marriage far outweigh how good the sex is.

That said, I DO see a problem with this whole thing if she was withholding kissing, sex, etc. as a way to leverage what she wanted. It's one thing if you both agree to abstain for your own reasons prior to marriage, but quite another thing to use abstinence as a bargaining chip.

Colin said...

To clarify, I didn't read the original article nor do I know these people, but if it was their choice to do this together, why jump down their throats about it?

Chrissie said...

...because it makes for good blog fodder that's why!

people who do things that are "out of the ordinary" must realize that people might be shocked by their behavior, that shock can illicit a response good or bad.

Sten said...

I just think that if you are going to commit to someone ofr the rest of your life you should know everything about them, including what kind of lover they are. You can find out more from being in bed than you can from several conversations.

mohawk said...

he should have totally referred to himself as the car and her as the garage.

Sten said...

She should be so lucky.