Tuesday, December 9, 2008

No more Muddy Cup?


The sign on the door reads "closed" and it is most likely for good. One of my favorite hang outs, the Muddy Cup in Poughkeepsie has inexplicably shut its doors, and in doing so, removed the one really nice bar-alternative nightspot in Poughkeepsie.

This is sad.

Poughkeepsie is a town where no one brags about their night life. You've got a couple nice pubs, a wide selection of dives and a growing number of wannabe meat markets. Muddy Cup offered variety shows, open mics, swing dance nights, art receptions, free WiFi and coffee and tea concoctions that promised to keep you warm all winter long.

It was great stopping by a coffee shop after work to unwind. I'd whip out my travel watercolor set and enjoy good conversation with friends and compelling strangers alike.

But no more. If anyone has suggestions for a new haunt for the bar weary, I'd love to hear them.

13 comments:

Mohawk said...

i vote that the next place has Rock Band™

seriously... i want to strengthen my vocals

Chrissie said...

I like the place in Red Hook that used to be called the "White Rabbit." I think it's "Taste Budd's" or something like that now.

But it has coffee and wifi(?) and tasty chocolate treats.

Unfortunately it's not right around the corner like the Muddy Cup was... but if you're up for a drive it's worth a try.

aka the Ralph Man said...

Wow, that sucks! Thanks for letting me know though. I'm the organizer a writing group that meets there the 1st Monday of every month. I didn't even know they closed. It would have sucked if we walked up to closed doors next meeting. If anyone has any ideas of somewhere else we could meet (preferably not the Mud in Beacon or a bookstore) lemme know.

PLUG: If anyone is interested the group is called Writing for Production Performing Arts. We're mostly interested in Screenwriting, Play writing, Story Telling, Short Story, Comedy & Sketch writing, and Poetry. Ideally we're looking for Live or Media based Art that can be Performed. If you're interested check us out and join us at...

http://www.meetup.com/Writing-for-Production-and-Performing-Arts/

Oh, yeas just cause I run a writing group don't mean I'm good at do'n the Spelling and the Grammar... So long as it's polished when it hits the Agent it's all good!

Macgyver said...

Chrissie, remember when Tom and I played a show at the White Rabbit?

It was such a nice place. They made us sandwitches and tried to pay us. We gave them awkward noise in return. An even trade if you ask me.

Sten said...

There's the cubby hole on Raymond, but I think that closes early.

Chrissie said...

Oh! Your show at the White Rabbit! I don't think I went to it... but I remember that it occurred.

And yes, I think a nice sandwich is a nice exchange for some "noise."

But I have to wonder... did they offer it before or after the show?!?!

D said...

The cubby hole closes at midnight.

Sten said...

Huh. Why did I think it closed earlier?

Macgyver said...

Haha I think the ladies all stayed home for that one.

The sandwitches were, as usual, a "before noise" snack.

Wraith said...

single word description of this situation

"dumb"

Digitalis said...

Blah. I think they needed to be in place at least a year before it became a staple.

And making drinkable coffee would have helped...

It does suck, they were on the way to becoming the only cultural hang in all po-town.

sunshine said...

Sten, when will you ever be bar weary?
:)

Anonymous said...

did anyone ever say why it closed? i walked up to the door one night and it said closed until further notice. that was like my place to study and im a bit a of a wreak about it.