Thursday, January 8, 2009

Out with the old


If you asked me two years ago what I was doing for the weekend I would respond with an excited "I'm going OUT!"

Yes. Out.

It didn't matter where, as long as there were drinks flowing, flirtation blooming, and music so loud I couldn't hear myself think.

I would work until 11 p.m. and be "out" by 12:30 <--- the beginning of my night. I would buy new tops to wear with my favorite jeans weekly and never repeated outfits. I would chat up strangers, occasionally kiss a couple of them, and wake up with a pounding headache, and a resolve to DO IT ALL AGAIN. And I was convinced that it would never get old.
That I'd always LOVE the "scene" and I would enjoy going out forever.

And then it happened.

Going out...
Stopped. Being. Fun.

I suddenly found myself preferring a "girls night" that began with a cocktail and ended with dessert at our favorite restaurant. I'd rather go out for coffee and really talk to someone than struggle to hear them over the pounding drums of a band I didn't even like.

It suddenly seemed that dancing in my living room with the man I love was a lot more fun than grinding against a stranger to the new Britney single.

But after all those memories I created while out...
I can't help but wonder what this new found love of staying in means for me.

Did the "scene" get old?

Or did I?

3 comments:

Sten said...

I think anything can get OLD.

I've got my tight click, and a normal night "out" now for us would be great conversation over coffee. But ... there are times when I just don't feel like doing that anymore.

It used to be every Thursday we'd kick up our dancing shoes at Cab's 80s night ... when that got old we did Wednesday Karaoke at the Dub ... now that's lost a lot of its charm to.

Last night we went bowling. It was something different ... and fun.

The thing about "the scene" is it's an opportunity to meet new people, which in itself should never get old. Just gotta change up the venue.

Wraith said...

i personally never felt comfortable with "the scene." so what does that make me? you shouldn't concern yourself with what used to be fun. instead focus on what's fun now.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Wraith big-time. I've never been the bar-scene or club-scene type. It should be about what you enjoy doing and who you enjoy doing it with. If you aren't the bar-fly kinda guy/gal, you certainly aren't going to meet anyone worthwhile at the bar.