Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Hooking up


We know there are plenty of fish in the sea.

Our closest friends will fill us full of vodka and take us out on the town to prove that for every man you've dated, there's at least 100 who you haven't (although in Poughkeepsie, the ratio might be more of a 1/10;).

In any case while single and looking, or single and being told to look, we're faced with the question of whether or not to "hook up" with our newest catch. And perhaps more importantly, when.

According to this author, "Hookups can be damaging to young women, denying their emotional needs, putting them at risk of depression and even sexually transmitted disease, and making them ill-equipped for real relationships later on."

Apparently the "hooking up" culture isn't meant for women. Many fear that if they spend too much time "in search of a career" that they will inevitably "miss out on love" and end up alone and diseased.

But the reality of the situation is that hooking up has always been a man's game.
A game in which women were active participants, but also those who would never win the trophy.

Because in spite of all those fish in the sea...

We're under the impression that women can't take the hook's bait without the emotional strings attached.

4 comments:

Chrissie said...

Your thoughts.

Hooking up... good or bad? Can both men and women enjoy physical closeness without the emotional intimacy?

Anonymous said...

I hooked up twice and felt no connection with the men the next day. One wanted my phone number and I refused. Yes, women are capable of such a thing too! Sometimes we just need a little action/satisfaction, and all there is driving that hookup is temporary attraction. I'm not saying I didn't feel icky about it the next day tho. I think that's the part that people should consider beforehand.

aka the Ralph Man said...

It goes both ways an I've been on both sides of the "hooking up" spectrum I was "seeing" a girl once who was a souless nymphomaniac I thought it was actually going somewhere in actuality I ment absolutely nothing to her then many long fun nights. Then again I've basically done the same thing women minus the souless nymphomaniac part I think...

A certain level of respect is necessary in all human interactions though without it you cease to be human...

Chrissie said...

I like, and agree entirely with the last thing you said Ralphie. I think a certain level of respect is necessary in all human interactions, especially those that involve "hooking up."

Without the expectations it is easy to objectify the people you're "hooking up" and if you couple that with a lack of respect then you're left with a mess of emotions and hurt feelings.