Monday, May 18, 2009

Different guys, same name

I've never dated a John.
John is my brother's name. It is also the name of my grandfather and 2 cousins (and a 2nd cousin and a great uncle).
I just can't see fireworks happening if every time I say a guy's name, I think of a family reunion.

Looking back, there's been three Michaels, three Ryans and three Jameses ... that's kinda gross too. I mean, if your dating history reads like a Foreman family tree, things can get real confusing.

I used to just refer to them with whatever nickname my father gave them ... like "I Wanna Jetski," "Keebler Elf," "Dope Boy," or for his 'favorite' "That Boy."
But unfortunately, most of those couldn't be said to the guy's face. So I like to give each one their own pet name. But that doesn't always stick.
Fido and Fetch never really cared for theirs ...

Are there "names" that you date repeatedly? Or maybe ones you steer away from?

10 comments:

Chrissie said...

So my first boyfriend shared a name with my FATHER which wasn't much fun at all!

There have been a few repeat names, but my pet peeve as it relates to this discussion is when grown men add an "ie" or "y" sound to their already short name.

Things like...
Johnnie
Frankie
Robbie

Sure, as a gal named Chrissie that might be hypocritical, but whatever;)

Doris said...

Yes Scott, so I had the second one renamed. such a bitch.

Header said...

I have dated quite a few "Mike"s in a row, and once a "Pyke".

That was a pattern.

Sten said...

You get to the point where you don't want to tell anyone the guy's name ... they give you that look like "Oh god, not another MIKE!"

Stan Alam said...

"and you sir are a midget"

Anonymous said...

No, but I could have saved any thing monogrammed from my first marraige. Any significant relationships have last names that begin with the same letter.

Sten said...

Well, that's kinda handy. My sister kept her initials when she got married (He's an "M" too) ... I always thought that was good planning.

Jared said...

Conversations like this make me wonder how many times in my life I've been dealbroken based on last name alone.

The Retropolitan said...

I have never dated any girls with the same name. But I want to jet ski.

Bunny said...

It's important to me, in that stupid way that little things can be important, that I date a guy with a name I've never dated before.

That being said? The third Tom is NOT the charm. (Though a charmer he is, undoubtedly.)